Terms and conditions for the supply of goods and services to TRUEFITT & HILL (GENTLEMAN'S GROOMING) LIMITED
These terms and conditions (Conditions) apply to the supply of any and all goods and services by any third party (Supplier) to Truefitt & Hill (Gentleman’s Grooming) Limited (T&H) where no separate, signed written agreement regulating such supply has been entered into. In the latter event, such separate, signed written agreement shall apply to the extent that it conflicts with these Conditions.
- Definitions. In these Conditions, the following definitions apply:
Business Day: a day other than a Saturday, Sunday or public holiday in England when banks in London are open for business.
Commencement Date: has the meaning set out in clause 2.2.
Conditions: these terms and conditions as amended from time to time in accordance with clause 16.7.
Contract: the contract between T&H and Supplier for the supply of Goods and/or Services in accordance with these Conditions.
Deliverables: all documents, products and materials developed by Supplier or its agents, contractors and employees as part of or in relation to the Services in any form or media, including without limitation drawings, maps, plans, diagrams, designs, pictures, computer programs, data, specifications and reports (including drafts).
Goods: the goods (or any part of them) set out in the Order.
Goods Specification: any specification for the Goods, including any related plans and drawings, that is agreed in writing by T&H and Supplier.
Intellectual Property Rights: patents, rights to inventions, copyright and related rights, trade marks, business names and domain names, rights in get-up, goodwill and the right to sue for passing off, rights in designs, database rights, rights to use, and protect the confidentiality of, confidential information (including know-how), and all other intellectual property rights, in each case whether registered or unregistered and including all applications and rights to apply for and be granted, renewals or extensions of, and rights to claim priority from, such rights and all similar or equivalent rights or forms of protection which subsist or will subsist now or in the future in any part of the world.
Order: T&H's order for the supply of Goods and/or Services, as confirmed in writing by T&H.
Services: the services, including without limitation any Deliverables, to be provided by Supplier under the Contract as set out in the Service Specification.
Service Specification: the description or specification for Services agreed in writing by T&H and Supplier.
T&H Materials: has the meaning set out in clause 5.3(i).
- Construction. In these Conditions, the following rules apply:
- a person includes a natural person, corporate or unincorporated body (whether or not having separate legal personality);
- a references to a party includes its personal representatives, successors or permitted assigns;
- a reference to a statute or statutory provision is a reference to such statute or statutory provision as amended or re-enacted. A reference to a statute or statutory provision includes any subordinate legislation made under that statute or statutory provision, as amended or re-enacted;
- any phrase introduced by the terms including, include, in particular or any similar expression shall be construed as illustrative and shall not limit the sense of the words preceding those terms; and
- a reference to writing or written includes faxes and e-mails.
- Basis of contract
- The Order constitutes an offer by T&H to purchase Goods and/or Services from Supplier in accordance with these Conditions.
- The Order shall be deemed to be accepted on the earlier of:
- Supplier issuing written acceptance of the Order; or
- any act by Supplier consistent with fulfilling the Order,
at which point and on which date the Contract shall come into existence (Commencement Date).
- These Conditions apply to the Contract to the exclusion of any other terms that Supplier seeks to impose or incorporate, or which are implied by trade, custom, practice or course of dealing.
- All of these Conditions shall apply to the supply of both Goods and Services except where the application to one or the other is specified.
- Supply of Goods
- Supplier shall ensure that the Goods shall:
- correspond with their description and any applicable Goods Specification;
- be of satisfactory quality (within the meaning of the Sale of Goods Act 1979) and fit for any purpose held out by Supplier or made known to Supplier by T&H, expressly or by implication, and in this respect T&H relies on Supplier's skill and judgment;
- where applicable, be free from defects in design, materials and workmanship and remain so for 24-months after delivery; and
- comply with all applicable statutory and regulatory requirements relating to the manufacture, labelling, packaging, storage, handling and delivery of the Goods.
- Supplier shall ensure that at all times it has and maintains all the licences, permissions, authorisations, consents and permits that it needs to carry out its obligations under the Contract in respect of the Goods.
- T&H shall have the right to inspect and test the Goods at any time before delivery.
- If following such inspection or testing T&H considers that the Goods do not conform or are unlikely to comply with Supplier's undertakings at clause 3.1, T&H shall inform Supplier and Supplier shall immediately take such remedial action as is necessary to ensure compliance.
- Notwithstanding any such inspection or testing, Supplier shall remain fully responsible for the Goods and any such inspection or testing shall not reduce or otherwise affect Supplier's obligations under the Contract, and T&H shall have the right to conduct further inspections and tests after Supplier has carried out its remedial actions.
- Delivery of Goods
- Supplier shall ensure that:
- the Goods are properly packed and secured in such manner as to enable them to reach their destination in good condition;
- each delivery of the Goods is accompanied by a delivery note which shows the date of the Order, the Order number (if any), the type and quantity of the Goods (including the code number of the Goods (where applicable)), special storage instructions (if any) and, if the Goods are being delivered by instalments, the outstanding balance of Goods remaining to be delivered; and
- if Supplier requires T&H to return any packaging material for the Goods to Supplier, that fact is clearly stated on the delivery note. Any such packaging material shall only be returned to Supplier at the cost of Supplier.
- Supplier shall deliver the Goods:
- on the date specified in the Order or, if no such date is specified, then within three days of the date of the Order;
- to T&H's premises at 71 St. James's Street, London, SW1A 1PH, United Kingdom or such other location as is set out in the Order or as instructed by T&H before delivery (Delivery Location);
- during T&H's normal hours of business, or as instructed by T&H.
- Delivery of the Goods shall be completed on the completion of unloading of the Goods at the Delivery Location.
- If Supplier:
- delivers less than 95 per cent of the quantity of Goods ordered, T&H may reject the Goods; or
- delivers more than 105 per cent of the quantity of Goods ordered, T&H may at its sole discretion reject the Goods or the excess Goods,
and any rejected Goods shall be returnable at Supplier's risk and expense. If Supplier delivers more or less than the quantity of Goods ordered, and T&H accepts the delivery, a pro rata adjustment shall be made to the invoice for the Goods.
- Supplier shall not deliver the Goods in instalments without T&H's prior written consent. Where it is agreed that the Goods are delivered by instalments, they may be invoiced and paid for separately. However, failure by Supplier to deliver any one instalment on time or at all or any defect in an instalment shall entitle T&H to the remedies set out in clause 6.1.
- Title and risk in the Goods shall pass to T&H on completion of delivery.
- Supply of Services
- Supplier shall from the date set out in the Order and for the duration of this Contract provide the Services to T&H in accordance with the terms of the Contract.
- Supplier shall meet any performance dates for the Services specified in the Order or notified to Supplier by T&H.
- In providing the Services, Supplier shall:
- co-operate with T&H in all matters relating to the Services, and comply with all instructions of T&H;
- perform the Services with the best care, skill and diligence in accordance with best practice in Supplier's industry, profession or trade;
- use personnel who are suitably skilled and experienced to perform tasks assigned to them, and in sufficient number to ensure that Supplier's obligations are fulfilled in accordance with this Contract;
- ensure that the Services and Deliverables will conform with all descriptions and specifications set out in the Service Specification, and that the Deliverables shall be fit for any purpose expressly or impliedly made known to Supplier by T&H;
- provide all equipment, tools and vehicles and such other items as are required to provide the Services;
- use the best quality goods, materials, standards and techniques, and ensure that the Deliverables, and all goods and materials supplied and used in the Services or transferred to T&H, will be free from defects in workmanship, installation and design;
- obtain and at all times maintain all necessary licences and consents, and comply with all applicable laws and regulations;
- observe all health and safety rules and regulations and any other security requirements that apply at any of T&H's premises;
- hold all materials, equipment and tools, drawings, specifications and data supplied by T&H to Supplier (T&H Materials) in safe custody at its own risk, maintain T&H Materials in good condition until returned to T&H, and not dispose or use T&H Materials other than in accordance with T&H's written instructions or authorisation; and
- not do or omit to do anything which may cause T&H to lose any licence, authority, consent or permission upon which it relies for the purposes of conducting its business, and Supplier acknowledges that T&H may rely or act on the Services.
- T&H remedies
- If Supplier fails to deliver the Goods and/or perform the Services by the applicable date, T&H shall, without limiting its other rights or remedies, have one or more of the following rights:
- to terminate the Contract with immediate effect by giving written notice to Supplier;
- to refuse to accept any subsequent performance of the Services and/or delivery of the Goods which Supplier attempts to make;
- to recover from Supplier any costs incurred by T&H in obtaining substitute goods and/or services from a third party;
- where T&H has paid in advance for Services that have not been provided by Supplier and/or Goods which have not been delivered by Supplier, to have such sums refunded by Supplier; and
- to claim damages for any additional costs, loss or expenses incurred by T&H which are in any way attributable to Supplier's failure to meet such dates.
- If the Goods are not delivered by the applicable date, T&H may, at its option, claim or deduct 10% per cent of the price of the Goods for each week's delay in delivery by way of liquidated damages, up to a maximum of 50% per cent of the total price of the Goods. If T&H exercises its rights under this clause 6.2 it shall not be entitled to any of the remedies set out in clause 6.1 in respect of the Goods' late delivery.
- If Supplier has delivered Goods that do not comply with the undertakings set out in clause 3.1, then, without limiting its other rights or remedies, T&H shall have one or more of the following rights, whether or not it has accepted the Goods:
- to reject the Goods (in whole or in part) whether or not title has passed and to return them to Supplier at Supplier's own risk and expense;
- to terminate the Contract with immediate effect by giving written notice to Supplier;
- to require Supplier to repair or replace the rejected Goods, or to provide a full refund of the price of the rejected Goods (if paid);
- to refuse to accept any subsequent delivery of the Goods which Supplier attempts to make;
- to recover from Supplier any expenditure incurred by T&H in obtaining substitute goods from a third party; and
- to claim damages for any additional costs, loss or expenses incurred by T&H arising from Supplier's failure to supply Goods in accordance with clause 3.1.
- These Conditions shall extend to any substituted or remedial services and/or repaired or replacement goods supplied by Supplier.
- T&H's rights under this Contract are in addition to its rights and remedies implied by statute and common law.
- T&H's obligations
- provide Supplier with reasonable access at reasonable times to T&H's premises for the purpose of providing the Services; and
- provide such information as Supplier may reasonably request for the provision of the Services and T&H considers reasonably necessary for the purpose of providing the Services.
- Charges and payment
- The price for the Goods:
- shall be the price set out in the Order, or if no price is quoted, the price set out in Supplier's published price list in force at the Commencement Date; and
- shall be inclusive of the costs of packaging, insurance and carriage of the Goods, unless otherwise agreed in writing by T&H. No extra charges shall be effective unless agreed in writing and signed by T&H.
- The charges for the Services shall be set out in the Order, and shall be the full and exclusive remuneration of Supplier in respect of the performance of the Services. Unless otherwise agreed in writing by T&H, the charges shall include every cost and expense of Supplier directly or indirectly incurred in connection with the performance of the Services.
- In respect of Goods, Supplier shall invoice T&H on or at any time after completion of delivery. In respect of Services, Supplier shall invoice T&H on completion of the Services. Each invoice shall include such supporting information required by T&H to verify the accuracy of the invoice, including but not limited to the relevant purchase order number.
- In consideration of the supply of Goods and/or Services by Supplier, T&H shall pay the invoiced amounts within 60-days of the date of a correctly rendered invoice to a bank account nominated in writing by Supplier.
- All amounts payable by T&H under the Contract are exclusive of amounts in respect of valued added tax chargeable from time to time (VAT). Where any taxable supply for VAT purposes is made under the Contract by Supplier to T&H, T&H shall, on receipt of a valid VAT invoice from Supplier, pay to Supplier such additional amounts in respect of VAT as are chargeable on the supply of the Goods and/or Services at the same time as payment is due for the supply of the Goods and/or Services.
- Supplier shall maintain complete and accurate records of the time spent and materials used by Supplier in providing the Services, and Supplier shall allow T&H to inspect such records at all reasonable times on request.
- T&H may at any time, without limiting any of its other rights or remedies, set off any liability of Supplier to T&H against any liability of T&H to Supplier, whether either liability is present or future, liquidated or unliquidated, and whether or not either liability arises under the Contract.
- Intellectual property rights
- In respect of the Goods and any goods that are transferred to T&H as part of the Services under this Contract, including without limitation the Deliverables or any part of them, Supplier warrants that it has full clear and unencumbered title to all such items, and that at the date of delivery of such items to T&H, it will have full and unrestricted rights to sell and transfer all such items to T&H.
- Supplier assigns to T&H, with full title guarantee and free from all third party rights, all Intellectual Property Rights in the products of the Services, including for the avoidance of doubt the Deliverables.
- Supplier shall obtain waivers of all moral rights in the products, including for the avoidance of doubt the Deliverables, of the Services to which any individual is now or may be at any future time entitled under Chapter IV of Part I of the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988 or any similar provisions of law in any jurisdiction.
- Supplier shall, promptly at T&H's request, do (or procure to be done) all such further acts and things and the execution of all such other documents as T&H may from time to time require for the purpose of securing for T&H the full benefit of the Contract, including all right, title and interest in and to the Intellectual Property Rights assigned to T&H in accordance with clause 9.2.
- All T&H Materials are the exclusive property of T&H.
- Supplier shall keep T&H indemnified against all liabilities, costs, expenses, damages and losses (including but not limited to any direct, indirect or consequential losses, loss of profit, loss of reputation and all interest, penalties and legal costs (calculated on a full indemnity basis) and all other professional costs and expenses) suffered incurred by T&H as a result of or in connection with:
- any claim made against T&H for actual or alleged infringement of a third party's intellectual property rights arising out of, or in connection with, the manufacture, supply or use of the Goods, or receipt, use or supply of the Services, to the extent that the claim is attributable to the acts or omissions of Supplier, its employees, agents or subcontractors;
- any claim made against T&H by a third party for death, personal injury or damage to property arising out of, or in connection with, defects in Goods, to the extent that the defects in the Goods are attributable to the acts or omissions of Supplier, its employees, agents or subcontractors; and
- any claim made against T&H by a third party arising out of or in connection with the supply of the Goods or the Services, to the extent that such claim arises out of the breach, negligent performance or failure or delay in performance of the Contract by Supplier, its employees, agents or subcontractors.
- This clause 10 shall survive termination of the Contract.
During the term of the Contract and for a period of 3-years thereafter, Supplier shall maintain in force, with a reputable insurance company, professional indemnity insurance, product liability insurance and public liability insurance to cover the liabilities that may arise under or in connection with the Contract, and shall, on T&H's request, produce both the insurance certificate giving details of cover and the receipt for the current year's premium in respect of each insurance.
- A party (receiving party) shall keep in strict confidence all technical or commercial know-how, specifications, inventions, processes or initiatives which are of a confidential nature and have been disclosed to the receiving party by the other party (disclosing party), its employees, agents or subcontractors, and any other confidential information concerning the disclosing party's business, its products and services which the receiving party may obtain. The receiving party shall only disclose such confidential information to those of its employees, agents and subcontractors who need to know it for the purpose of discharging the receiving party's obligations under the Contract, and shall ensure that such employees, agents and subcontractors comply with the obligations set out in this clause as though they were a party to the Contract. The receiving party may also disclose such of the disclosing party's confidential information as is required to be disclosed by law, any governmental or regulatory authority or by a court of competent jurisdiction.
- This clause 12 shall survive termination of the Contract.
- Without limiting its other rights or remedies, T&H may terminate the Contract:
- in respect of the supply of Services, by giving Supplier written notice; and
- in respect of the supply of Goods, in whole or in part at any time before delivery with immediate effect by giving written notice to Supplier, whereupon Supplier shall discontinue all work on the Contract.
- In any of the circumstances in these Conditions in which a party may terminate the Contract, where both Goods and Services are supplied, that party may terminate the Contract in respect of the Goods, or in respect of the Services, and the Contract shall continue in respect of the remaining supply.
- Without limiting its other rights or remedies, T&H may terminate the Contract with immediate effect by giving written notice to Supplier if:
- Supplier commits a material breach of the terms of the Contract and (if such a breach is remediable) fails to remedy that breach within 3-days of receipt of notice in writing to do so;
- Supplier repeatedly breaches any of the terms of the Contract in such a manner as to reasonably justify the opinion that its conduct is inconsistent with it having the intention or ability to give effect to the terms of the Contract;
- Supplier suspends, or threatens to suspend, payment of its debts or is unable to pay its debts as they fall due or admits inability to pay its debts or (being a company or limited liability partnership) is deemed unable to pay its debts within the meaning of section 123 of the Insolvency Act 1986 or (being an individual) is deemed either unable to pay its debts or as having no reasonable prospect of so doing, in either case, within the meaning of section 268 of the Insolvency Act 1986 or (being a partnership) has any partner to whom any of the foregoing apply;
- Supplier commences negotiations with all or any class of its creditors with a view to rescheduling any of its debts, or makes a proposal for or enters into any compromise or arrangement with its creditors;
- a petition is filed, a notice is given, a resolution is passed, or an order is made, for or in connection with the winding up of Supplier (being a company) other than for the sole purpose of a scheme for a solvent amalgamation of Supplier with one or more other companies or the solvent reconstruction of Supplier;
- Supplier (being an individual) is the subject of a bankruptcy petition or order;
- a creditor or encumbrancer of Supplier attaches or takes possession of, or a distress, execution, sequestration or other such process is levied or enforced on or sued against, the whole or any part of its assets and such attachment or process is not discharged within 14-days;
- an application is made to court, or an order is made, for the appointment of an administrator or if a notice of intention to appoint an administrator is given or if an administrator is appointed over Supplier (being a company);
- the holder of a floating charge over the assets of Supplier (being a company) has become entitled to appoint or has appointed an administrative receiver;
- a person becomes entitled to appoint a receiver over the assets of Supplier or a receiver is appointed over the assets of Supplier;
- any event occurs, or proceeding is taken, with respect to Supplier in any jurisdiction to which it is subject that has an effect equivalent or similar to any of the events mentioned in clause 13.3(c) toclause 13.3(j) (inclusive);
- Supplier suspends or ceases, or threatens to suspend, or cease, to carry on all or a substantial part of its business; or
- Supplier (being an individual) dies or, by reason of illness or incapacity (whether mental or physical), is incapable of managing his own affairs or becomes a patient under any mental health legislation.
- Termination of the Contract, however arising, shall not affect any of the parties' rights and remedies that have accrued as at termination.
- Clauses which expressly or by implication survive termination of the Contract shall continue in full force and effect.
- Consequences of termination
On termination of the Contract for any reason, Supplier shall immediately deliver to T&H all Deliverables whether or not then complete, and return all T&H Materials. If Supplier fails to do so, then T&H may enter Supplier's premises and take possession of them. Until they have been returned or delivered, Supplier shall be solely responsible for their safe keeping and will not use them for any purpose not connected with this Contract.
- Force majeure
- Neither party shall be in breach of the Contract nor liable for delay in performing, or failure to perform, any of its obligations under it if such a delay or failure result from an event, circumstances or cause beyond its reasonable control (Force Majeure Event).
- Supplier shall use all reasonable endeavours to mitigate the effect of a Force Majeure Event on the performance of its obligations.
- If a Force Majeure Event prevents, hinders or delays Supplier's performance of its obligations for a continuous period of more than 20 Business Days, T&H may terminate the Contract immediately by giving written notice to Supplier.
- Assignment and other dealings.
- T&H may at any time assign, transfer, mortgage, charge, subcontract or deal in any other manner with all or any of its rights or obligations under the Contract.
- Supplier may not assign, transfer, mortgage, charge, subcontract, declare a trust over or deal in any other manner with all or any of its rights or obligations under the Contract without the prior written consent of T&H.
- Any notice or other communication given to a party under or in connection with the Contract shall be in writing, addressed to that party at its registered office (if it is a company) or its principal place of business (in any other case) or such other address as that party may have specified to the other party in writing in accordance with this clause, and shall be delivered personally, or sent by pre-paid first class post or other next working day delivery service, commercial courier, fax or e-mail.
- A notice or other communication shall be deemed to have been received: if delivered personally, when left at the address referred to in clause 16.2(a); if sent by pre-paid first class post or other next working day delivery service, at 9.00 am on the second Business Day after posting; if delivered by commercial courier, on the date and at the time that the courier's delivery receipt is signed; or, if sent by fax or e-mail, one Business Day after transmission.
- The provisions of this clause shall not apply to the service of any proceedings or other documents in any legal action.
- Severance. If any provision or part-provision of the Contract is or becomes invalid, illegal or unenforceable, it shall be deemed modified to the minimum extent necessary to make it valid, legal and enforceable. If such modification is not possible, the relevant provision or part-provision shall be deemed deleted. Any modification to or deletion of a provision or part-provision under this clause shall not affect the validity and enforceability of the rest of the Contract.
- Waiver. A waiver of any right or remedy under the Contract or law is only effective if given in writing and shall not be deemed a waiver of any subsequent breach or default. No failure or delay by a party to exercise any right or remedy provided under the Contract or by law shall constitute a waiver of that or any other right or remedy, nor shall it prevent or restrict the further exercise of that or any other right or remedy. No single or partial exercise of such right or remedy shall prevent or restrict the further exercise of that or any other right or remedy.
- No partnership or agency. Nothing in the Contract is intended to, or shall be deemed to, establish any partnership or joint venture between the parties, nor constitute either party the agent of the other for any purpose. Neither party shall have authority to act as agent for, or to bind, the other party in any way.
- Third parties. A person who is not a party to the Contract shall not have any rights to enforce its terms.
- Variation. Except as set out in these Conditions, no variation of the Contract, including the introduction of any additional terms and conditions, shall be effective unless it is agreed in writing and signed by T&H.
- Governing law. The Contract, and any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with it or its subject matter or formation (including non-contractual disputes or claims), shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with the law of England and Wales.
- Jurisdiction. Each party irrevocably agrees that the courts of England and Wales shall have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with this agreement or its subject matter or formation (including non-contractual disputes or claims).